We are pleased to announce the results of the 22nd Annual Masters Concerto and Aria Competition sponsored by the Kenwood Symphony Orchestra!
The winners of this year’s competition are:
- Heather Hjelle, voice, singing from Wagner’s Tannhauser: “Dich Teure Halle”
- Adrienne Johnson, piano, playing Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2, mvt. 1
- Daniel Keeler, cello, playing Lalo’s Cello Concerto in D minor, mvt. 1
- Jimin Lee, voice, singing from Gounod’s Faust: “Jewel Song”
- Amos Lucidi, piano, playing Ravel’s Concerto for the Left Hand
- Michael Min, voice, singing from Puccini’s Tosca: “E lucevan le stelle”
- Christopher Raddatz, clarinet, playing Debussy’s Première rhapsodie
- Beth Blackledge, flute, playing Mozart’s Flute Concerto in G major, mvt. 3
- Rebecca Kimpton, english horn, playing Stephenson’s Concerto for English Horn and Strings, mvt. 1
- Courtney Wiley, voice, singing from Saint-Saëns’ Samson et Dalila: “Mon coeur s’ouvre a ta voix”
- Wenshuai Zhang, piano, playing Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto No. 2, mvt. 1
I have some news to share. After coordinating the MCAC competition for 17 years, I have decided to step down as the MCAC Coordinator. The competition has been successful beyond my wildest dreams, with over 130 musicians performing with the orchestra, and over 500 auditioning. It has been a joy to witness the immense talent level of the amateur and emerging professional music community in the Twin Cities and beyond. After considerable thought, KSO has decided to suspend the MCAC competition for the 2020-2021 season, while we begin our search for a new MCAC Coordinator. If you, or someone you know, is interested in learning about the MCAC Coordinator position and bringing back the competition in the 2021-2022 season, please let me know. I have a very detailed playbook for the competition and am happy to provide training. In keeping with KSO’s mission to play, share, and inspire great music, we remain optimistic that we will find a way to continue the MCAC competition in the future.
To become an MCAC donor, donations to Kenwood Symphony Orchestra can be sent to our mailing address:
Kenwood Symphony Orchestra
P.O. Box 19591
Minneapolis, MN 55419
You may also make a gift online via GiveMN, a collaborative venture to transform philanthropy in Minnesota.